Used Furniture Worth

Closed Thread
Old 02-20-2012, 10:56 PM
Sage
Default Used Furniture Worth

If one wanted to sell their used furniture I was wondering how one determines what their used furniture is worth?

Is it a percentage of the original price? It's condition? Or the amount someone is wiling to pay for it?

If one paid $2000 for a complete bedroom set including box spring and mattress, what would that sell for?

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 02-20-2012, 11:24 PM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BNTV View Post
If one wanted to sell their used furniture I was wondering how one determines what their used furniture is worth?

Is it a percentage of the original price? It's condition? Or the amount someone is wiling to pay for it?

If one paid $2000 for a complete bedroom set including box spring mattress, what would that sell for?
That can be a difficult question to answer, but I can suggest this if it's logistically possible for you. When you get down here go to the consignment or used furniture places and look around. That might give you a good idea of used values or you might even want to consider using a consignment shop. The Furniture Barn in Fruitland Park would be a good place for that. We haven't placed anything there but we have purchased a number of items there. Bargan & Treasurers also does consignment IIRC!

p.s. bring you're check book if you go to those shops. You just might see something you like just like we did! :O)
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 02-21-2012, 01:29 AM
Gold member

I think Skyguy is right on.
See how much others are asking and price yours accordingly based on
quality, style and condition.
In reality, they're different!
Old 02-21-2012, 08:02 AM
Veteran member

There are a few places where you can donate your used furniture too if you're so inclined. We donate all of our used furniture to "Our Mother's Attic" in Wildwood. They will pick it up from your home usually in 2-3 days. It gives me a better feeling then selling it for a small amount of cash.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:47 AM
Sage

One thing we learned before coming here after asking a person whose business was to buy used furniture (he was a relative of a relative). For example, we had a solid (walnut) wood, high-end bedroom set. Bob Timberlake for Lexington was the brand and in great shape. Paid thousands for the set! He gave an example by stating that "perhaps" we could get say $175.00 to $200.00 for the chest of drawers! We ended up giving the set to one of our kids!! He told us that the value diminishes exceedingly on furniture and people just don't get what "they" think it's worth out of it.

Since moving here I've observed that folks tend to over-price (at times) their used items. Having someone give you an estimate is probably worth it. Otherwise give it to your kids or donate it to a worthy cause and use that as a tax deduction.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:52 AM
Veteran member

Could you please give me the phone number of "Mothers Attic". Thanks
Old 02-21-2012, 11:29 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

From our experience, it's probably worth [what someone will pay for it] about 10% of what you paid for it....even if it's brand new. We moved into a model home and sold some of the new furniture and the 10% held true for us.

It hurts, but we didn't want it sitting around any longer . . .
Old 02-21-2012, 06:01 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by memason View Post
From our experience, it's probably worth [what someone will pay for it] about 10% of what you paid for it....even if it's brand new. We moved into a model home and sold some of the new furniture and the 10% held true for us.

I would agree with this. I have bought several lovely things from people advertising on TOTV but have always negoiated the price if I thought it was too high.

The price you will get is absolutely how much someone is willing to pay. They don't care what you paid for it. They care about what THEY will pay for it and what it is worth to them. If you just want to get rid of it, put a low price on it...if you want to make money...consign it. Even that won't bring you a bundle.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:23 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridagal View Post
could you please give me the phone number of "mothers attic". Thanks
352-689-0128
Old 02-21-2012, 08:06 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by memason View Post

YUP....think that's what we were told! It hurts especially when we were told our bedroom set would be heirloom quality. While it may be, guess it's in the eyes of the beholder. So kept it in the family! Common sense probably should tell a person that...especially with so many re-sale stores around!!!
Old 03-01-2014, 10:59 AM

Where to buy used furniture
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.