What to do with front lamplight???

Closed Thread
Old 03-01-2015, 11:45 AM
Veteran member
Default What to do with front lamplight???

Our front lamplight continually stays on? Anyone have any suggestions on how to fix it? Is it the homeowners responsibility or The Villages...LOL....wishful thinking I'm sure ;-)
Old 03-01-2015, 12:15 PM
Gold member

Covered under warranty they will fix it. If not it probably only needs a new daylight sensor. It is mounted on the post and unscrews. You can get a replacement at ACE or HD or Lowes
Old 03-01-2015, 12:41 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

Tnlakepanda is correct. It is most likely the electric eye. This lightpost is run by your electricity, so if your home is over a year old, specifically if your closing was more than a year ago it is your responsibility.

This is relatively an easy DIY project if you are comfortable with it. Always turn off your breaker to this post light first. Since your light stays on you should easily know when you turned off the correct breaker.

These cost about $6.00 and usually last around 5-6 years. They have three wires. First take off the top light fixture, being very careful not to drop the fixture or the little holding screws. Then remove the existing electric eye making sure you do not drop the wire leads down the post. Wire it like the existing one and put everything back together.

You can then test this by covering up the electric eye completely with black electrical tape and turning the breaker back on. Understand that it sometimes takes a few minutes for the light to come on, so be a tad patient. Once the light comes back on, remove the tape. It should then go out in a minute or so, then come back on at dusk.

Clean up the light fixture, and consider replacing the old bulb(s) with LED bulb(s). You will save a boatload of money, as regular bulbs cost you about $80 per year in electrical costs.

I'm sure there are youtube videos on this project. If you are not comfortable doing this then by all means hire an Electrician.

Before you do all this, make sure the existing electric eye is unobstructed and clean. I have seen dirty electric eyes do this.....

Good luck...hope this helps! Frank D.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:48 AM
Veteran member

Thanks guys.....good advice as always!
Old 03-02-2015, 07:30 PM
Sage

First make sure you don't have some foliage covering the sensor replicating night time.
Old 03-02-2015, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangeloInspections View Post

Clean up the light fixture, and consider replacing the old bulb(s) with LED bulb(s). You will save a boatload of money, as regular bulbs cost you about $80 per year in electrical costs.
Frank D.
This cant be correct? 80 dollars a year for one lightbulb.
Old 03-02-2015, 07:58 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by capecoralbill View Post
I just paid $13 for a lamppost LED bulb guaranteed for 10 years.
Old 03-02-2015, 10:14 PM
Sage

Just bought 4 ea 40W CFL bulbs for about $4.50 that last 9 yrs at 3 hrs/day.

Math Question: which bulb(s) are less expensive for 10 years?

LED = $13 dollars assuming 12 hrs/day usage

CFL = 12 hrs/day usage makes life 9 yrs/4 = 2.25 yrs life for one x 4 bulbs = 9 yrs life for $4.50 PLUS additional energy cost by CFL bulbs.

might be a total push?

Incandescent bulbs last about .9 years/4 or about 3 months and cost about $2.50 each or $100 for the bulbs in 10 years plus 7 times the energy cost. $280 vs $40.

Time to retire the old bulbs!

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 03-03-2015, 05:40 AM
TOTV SPONSOR

The LED bulbs are the better long term buy. For the post light you can get 4 watt LED bulbs. They will last the longest. Also, if you get the correct K rating they attract less bugs.

LED bulbs are also dimmable and do not take time to brighten up. Better for the environment also I believe.

Frank
Old 03-03-2015, 05:45 AM
TOTV SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by capecoralbill View Post
Many of the newer post lights take three 25 watt bulbs. I did not do the calculations myself, but was told this was correct by one of the head Electricians who troubleshoots all electrical problems in the Premier homes. Sometime when I get the time I will calculate this myself.

Bottom line is that the LED bulbs, (on sale at Target this week) are much cheaper long term. Three 4 watt bulbs are much cheaper then 3 25 watt bulbs that folks seem to have to replace more then once a year...sometimes more often. With how long the LED bulbs seem to last, it is a good bet that most folks will never have to replace them once installed.

Frank
Old 03-03-2015, 10:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR1234 View Post
Our front lamplight continually stays on? Anyone have any suggestions on how to fix it? Is it the homeowners responsibility or The Villages...LOL....wishful thinking I'm sure ;-)
And you got serious answers...lol

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 03-04-2015, 08:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,882 Times in 2,428 Posts

just unscrew the bulb.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:46 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangeloInspections View Post
Many of the newer post lights take three 25 watt bulbs. I did not do the calculations myself, but was told this was correct by one of the head Electricians who troubleshoots all electrical problems in the Premier homes. Sometime when I get the time I will calculate this myself.

Bottom line is that the LED bulbs, (on sale at Target this week) are much cheaper long term. Three 4 watt bulbs are much cheaper then 3 25 watt bulbs that folks seem to have to replace more then once a year...sometimes more often. With how long the LED bulbs seem to last, it is a good bet that most folks will never have to replace them once installed.

Frank
My post light has three bulb sockets. I put three bulbs in but only screw one in all the way so only one lights up,when that one goes bad I simply tighten the next one until all three are burnt out then start all over.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.