What's with the STD reputation in The Villages?

Closed Thread
Old 04-01-2012, 06:04 PM
Sage
Question What's with the STD reputation in The Villages?

We told several friends about the villages and we were buying a home and two said you heard they have the highest std numbers of any retirement community.

Is this fact or fiction.

We're very concerned what are the facts about this?
Old 04-01-2012, 06:18 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
We told several friends about the villages and we were buying a home and two said you heard they have the highest std numbers of any retirement community.

Is this fact or fiction.

We're very concerned what are the facts about this?
If you aren't sleeping around, it doesn't matter.
Old 04-01-2012, 06:19 PM
Sage

They don't call is the friendliest city for nothing.
Old 04-01-2012, 06:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default STD. Silly traffic detentions?

Well, if you are exposed you could catch a STD. So you know what to do about that!!

And...I am guessing that it is yet another rumor.

Part of this Urban Legend came from the book Leisureville. And the culprit is MR. MIDNIGHT!

Actually it is a rumor started by the..........

Check one;
WCTU. FBI. YMCA. VOA. LAPD. MSNBC. Fox. TLC. CBS. TTN. BBC.
Please feel free to add your own.

Personally I think rumors like that are much better than those that say we are all death adjacent.
Old 04-01-2012, 06:26 PM

Here is the FACT on the story.... some locals do not like the villages because they do not like change.They want to keep things like it was yrs ago...so a Doc told a story about a high count on it...truth is there is STD all over the USA...I am a single person who lives her for the past 6 yrs and has not been around nor heard of a problem like the old story has been pasted around. If you sleep around I am sure you may catch something just like if you were anywhere else... The Villages is a very nice place to live. No need to worry!
Old 04-01-2012, 06:44 PM
Sage

If it were true then perhaps it would be due to the fact that many, (excuse the word) seniors, only used condoms back when it meant stopping pregnancy. Since that isn't much of a concern with this population then perhaps they don't use any protection? Just a thought.
Old 04-01-2012, 06:46 PM
Veteran member

If it is true, then perhaps it is because the people in TV recognize a medical problem and seek treatment for it rather than hope it goes away!
Old 04-01-2012, 06:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,351 Times in 2,390 Posts

Another rumor from that nut that wrote Leisureville.
Old 04-01-2012, 06:49 PM

When we first visited here in 2008, we took the trolley tour. Someone on the bus asked the guide about a recent newspaper article that apparently mentioned the high incidence of STD's in the Villages. Despite the fact that I thought the question to be rude and uncalled for, the guide never missed a beat. She said "Well, we ARE an active adult community!" If you live in the Villages, you can probably avoid STD's, but you won't be able to avoid the humor !
Old 04-01-2012, 06:52 PM
Platinum member
Location: Brooklyn, Queens, Nassau County, Evansville IN, Boca Raton, Toledo OH, Pennecamp

It is simply not true. Below is a link that references board of health statistics for the area.

Data, doctors dispel reports of rising infections | Ocala.com
Old 04-01-2012, 07:24 PM
Gold member
Location: Chicago, Des Moines, St Louis, Fort Wayne -TV Wannabe
Default agree with above^^^^^

I asked our Realtor years ago and he said it was not true and to check the board of health to confirm it. You see every case of STD's has to notify the Board of Health. The fact is there stats don't uphold the rumor.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:57 PM
Sage

A gynecologist, Colleen McQuade M.D., was quoted in newspapers in 2006 as having seen rising numbers of older patients with STD's due possibly to lack of awareness when reactivating their sex lives, etc.

It got blown out of proportion by talk shows and others who are either envious of people who are happy due to all that TV offers, or they hate the developer and this gives them some more ammunition.

The bottom line is, if we went out onto the streets looking for sex with strangers in our former neighborhoods where we lived before this, we'd be sure to find people with STD's.

If you're looking for sex with strangers, you can probably find that here, just as you can where you are. That, however, is not the goal of anybody we've met here. If you open the phone book of TV, you'll see that most people are couples.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:29 PM
Sage

We did a brief visit to TV in Feb 06 and liked what we saw so much we booked a rental for July 06.

Well, in May 06 while sitting in the Seattle airport, lo and behold, CNN was broadcasting its story about STDs in The Villages, including an interview with the female GYN. Made us do a double take.

We have heard this tale retold by jealous non Villages friends many times over...and it gets tiresome. Much ado about nothing.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:04 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,595 Times in 1,759 Posts

Last year I spent a month in TV. At a family gathering I happened to mention this to the grandmother of my son's wife who resides in a retirement community in North San Diego County, California. She went nuts, telling me she had heard TV had the highest STD rate...... I responded that much of what she had heard had been blown all out of proportion but she just would not listen. She had that "Don't confuse me with the facts. I have already made up my mind." mentality. It is just too juicy a "fact" for rumor mongers who are no doubt more than a little bored with their own lives.
Old 04-02-2012, 03:48 AM
Veteran member

I don't think the Post-T-Vac has the right "protection"......

I think the urban legend came about due to so many single ladies living in the Villages (one "bad apple"....). I have had a few folks toss the STD thing in my face and I respond "oh and you haven't heard of all the unique golf carts?"

STDs cover a large spectrum but nowadays everybody only thinks AIDS.....

IMHO just sayin....

"The difficult we can do immediately the impossible just takes a little longer"
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.