View Single Post

Old 01-23-2015, 04:30 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
It's a long standing practice for any President not to see heads of state or candidates when the time is close to their election. This avoids the appearance of influencing a democratic election in a foreign country. Israel's election is just two weeks later.
"U.S. President Barack Obama has demanded that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu stop encouraging U.S. senators and congressmen to advance new sanctions legislation against Iran.

A senior American official, who asked to remain anonymous due to the diplomatic sensitivity of the issue, said Obama gave Netanyahu this message during a telephone call on Monday, January 12."

"Obama also warned Netanyahu not to meddle in the battle he is waging against Congress over the sanctions legislation, the official said. This warning was issued more than a week before Speaker of the House John Boehner publicly invited Netanyahu to address a joint session of Congress. Netanyahu’s address, which will take place at the height of the battle between Obama and the Republican-controlled Congress, is expected to focus on the Iranian nuclear issue and what he sees as the need to ratchet up the pressure on the Iran."

Obama to Netanyahu: Stop pushing Congress toward new sanctions on Iran - Diplomacy and Defense - Israel News | Haaretz

Wondering how our government would react if WARNED not to get involved. THIS IS THEIR LIVES.

I do understand the asking not to get involved. I DO NOT understand not meeting with him based on "long standing practice" as our leader is not big on long standing practice as we have found out.

PLEASE....I am simply responding to reply to posts, but do not want this to become P, so maybe we can talk about what is going on in the ME.