View Single Post

Old 01-24-2015, 06:08 AM
Sage
Default None of them used recipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdhdleo View Post
This brought back many memories, thanks for the great recipes! I am not Italian nor was I raised in an Italian neighborhood but for many years dated an Italian guy and his Momma would make all you spoke of every Sunday! OMG so good. I learned a lot from her but never had her recipe for her Gravy as she didn't use one so I am looking forward to trying this! I do make a mean stuffed artichoke though....LOL but those are pretty simple Thanks again!

None of mine used recipes either. Just from memory.

They would also roll out the pasta (macaroni) dough on the dining room table. That was also made from scratch.

When I was a young married, my Godmother (the baby of the family who had always helped her big sisters help their mother) wrote out, based on her memory of the time , what she remembers going into the pot.
It was a ritual after all........so she saw it every Sunday.

Growing up, we lived in a blended neighborhood in New Jersey along with those of German, Irish, Polish, Ukrainian, etc., etc. ethnicity.......but there were a few Italian families, whom I recall, especially the family next door to us..............my little friend's mom had to feed FIVE BIG SONS plus the father & the little girl.........I do remember her Sunday Gravy, but especially how they continued to eat it all week long (along with other things she cooked for supper......like roasts, chops, etc.).

By mid week there was VERY LITTLE MEAT LEFT IN THAT BIG POT.
She also packed lunch for SIX MEN each morning as they owned their own home improvement business (carpenters)........she made from scratch things like Eggplant Parm, Chicken Parm, Sausage, onions & peppers, etc., etc. all to go on huge Italian bread sandwiches...for their lunch boxes.

Italian men never went hungry, that's for sure.

As I also recall, myself plus other little girlfriends thought they took FORVER TO EAT their supper ........then little Mary had to sweep up all the crumbs from under the table..........before we could all play again.

Our suppers went quicker, as we had smaller families..........so we would sit on her back enclosed porch while they all finished eating............that was also back in the day of the butcher shops, so I would often accompany little Mary to get her mom's meat order for the Sunday gravy!!!!

My father was Italian....... both he & my Ukrainian mom made delicious sauce/gravy as well........but we didn't eat it all week long........we also made roasts & other things for Sunday dinner..........while my dad's Italian family continued on & on with the Sunday Gravy tradition.

I would love to have your stuffed artichoke recipe......I've never made that. Thanks in advance.