View Single Post

Old 01-24-2015, 10:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Uh, it wasn't "my little fumble study." I understand how you will stick up to your team to the end. It makes for a good fan. But you do have to wonder why there aren't very many other teams in the limelight for this kind of thing. The Saints and...
OK, to be more accurate, "the little fumble study that you posted."

Other teams haven't been in the limelight for it because they don't win as much as The Patriots. It has never been brought up by an opposing coach before because they all know that it's common practice and their teams could be penalized as well if a real investigation was done.

Don't you find it a bit odd that Jim Harbaugh found balls to be soft in the Ravens game against The Patriots and instead of filing an official complaint with the league, he goes and tell Pagano to look out for it? If I were a coach and found a problem I would call it to the referee's attention right then and there. The ref could then check the balls at halftime just like they did in The Colts games. Instead, he goes to the coach of the team that they're about to play and "warns" him to look for it.

So far what we know is that 11 of 12 balls were under inflated, some up to 2 PSI.

We have no idea how they got that way. We don't know if they were under inflated when the ref checked them before the game. We don't know what procedure the ref used to check them. Did he use a gauge or did he just squeeze them and say they felt OK? if a gauge was used, could it have been a faulty gauge? Was the same method and/or gauge used on The Colts balls? Is it possible that the temperature change led to a loss of pressure? Remember, Tom Brady asks for his footballs to be at "exactly" 12.5 PSI. If they were at that pressure and the cold made them lose any pressure at all, they would have been illegal. What was the exact pressure of all of The Colts 12 footballs? Were the tested in the same room or different rooms? Were the temperatures of the two rooms the same?

All I'm saying is that there is a lot of information that we don't have and people are screaming to suspend Belichick, ban The Patriots from the Super Bowl or bench Brady for the Super Bowl. What I'm saying is like in any other case we should wait until all of the evidence is in before making any judgement. It sounds like that's exactly what the NFL is doing.

Until then we should just enjoy two great football teams going at each other in the greatest game of the season.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.