View Single Post

Old 01-24-2015, 11:13 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtrap328 View Post
Even though I owe no explanation to this poster, I will reply.

First, I have paid into Social Security and I do get a Social Security retirement check.

The question of opting in or out of Social Security was based upon a conversation over a couple of Dewar's White Label's with a friend. He was under the thought that most people would opt-out and plan their own retirement future. I thought that most young people do not think retirement until their mid-40's and then it is too late to start from zero. I said that the safety net of a Social Security retirement check in addition to 401k's and other investments was needed. He said the 7 percent deduction could have made so much more money that it would not be needed as a safety net.

No, there was no political bent to my post. It was a legit question asking for opinions.
I will give you a public apology based on this. I was almost sure you said at various times that you were a long time federal employee in Washington DC.

If I was in error, I apologize sincerely.

Secondly, I KNOW you began threads on this and for reasons YOU will understand I will stay away from discussing those, and they all were around the same issue.

Last edited by Rags123; 01-24-2015 at 01:22 PM.