View Single Post

Old 01-24-2015, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Here is the rest of that speech.

A President must be many things.
He must be a shrewd protector of America's interests; and he must be an idealist who leads those who move for a freer and more democratic planet.
And he must see to it that government intrudes as little as possible in the lives of the people; and yet remember, that it is right and proper that a nation’s leader take’s an interest in the nation's character.
And he must be able to define -- and lead -- a mission.
For seven and a half years, I’ve worked with a great President -- I have seen what crosses that big desk. I’ve seen the unexpected crisis that arrives in a cable in a young aide's hand. And I have seen problems that simmer on for decades and suddenly demand resolution. And I’ve seen modest decisions made with anguish, and crucial decisions made with dispatch.
And so I know that what it all comes down to, this election -- what it all comes down to, after all the shouting and the cheers -- is the man at the desk.
And who should sit at the desk?
My friends, I am that man.
I say it -- I say it -- I say it without boast or bravado, I've fought for my country. I've served. I've built. And I’ll go from the hills to the hollows, from the cities to the suburbs to the loneliest town on the quietest street to take our message of hope and growth for every American to every American.
I will keep America moving forward, always forward -- for a better America, for an endless enduring dream and a thousand points of light.
This is my mission. And I will complete it.
Thank you. You know one -- You know it is customary to end an address with a pledge or a saying that holds a special meaning.
And I’ve chosen one that we all know by heart, one that we all learned in school. And I ask everyone in this great hall to stand and join me in this, we all know it.
I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
Thank you, and God bless you.
Thank you and here are some quotes:

And I hope to stand for a new harmony, a greater tolerance. We've come far, but I think we need a new harmony among the races in our country. And we're on a journey into a new century, and we've got to leave that tired old baggage of bigotry behind.
It means, it means, teaching troubled children through your present that there’s no such, that there's such a thing as reliable love. Some would say it's soft and insufficiently tough to care about these things. But where is it written that we must act as if we do not care, as if we are not moved? Well I am moved. I want a kinder, and gentler nation.