View Single Post

Old 01-12-2008, 09:35 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch
Default Re: When did you start the motorcycle hobby???

I'm the passenger type but can drive one if I have to. Actually started my love of bikes when I was about 4 and lived on my Godmother's farm in Germany. She had 5 boys, all but the youngest had a bike -- I wouldn't let them in the gate until I got a ride. That love affair has never stopped.

When my bro was in 'Nam, I more or less stole his bike for my use. The biggest problem was that it was way too heavy for me. To start it, I'd have to jump the starter with both feet and full weight and jump over the seat to keep it stable in almost the same motion. If I was on it and I had to stop for more than 30 seconds, you could see the bike start to do a slowwwww lean until it was lying on its side purring away. Someone would have to help me pick it up. (Remember, I was 18 and didn't have the brains to know how dangerous all of this was, so no lectures, please.) I kept the bike even when he came back from 'Nam and drove it for the next 5 years until my husband gave me a choice -- him or the bike (shudda kept the bike!).

BTW -- Did I mention his bike was a 1946 Indian chief? And, yes, it had the fork extensions, teardrop tank, etc., etc.

So, still love bikes but still like being a passenger better -- you can have the bugs, I'll just kick back and enjoy the ride.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein