View Single Post

Old 01-27-2015, 09:53 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuccillo View Post
The water in The Villages is considered "hard" to "very hard" at about 12 grains per gallon. A water softener will reduce the hardness to essentially zero. While there is no evidence to suggest that the hardness will cause any medical issues, many people like the multiple advantages of soft water. If you don't want the small increase in sodium in the softened water you can use potassium chloride instead of sodium chloride for the resin regeneration process. Filtering to remove dirt and chlorine (pretty high in The Villages) is also a good idea in addition to a water softener. The removal of chlorine before the water softener will also extend the life of the resin used for ion exchange in the water softener.
After reading this post, I decided to retest our water using the test strip I got from a softener company. Here is the result:

As you can see, the water does not test as hard, rather it shows only 3 grains per gallon. I don't have a softener, only a filter system from Nova. We have no problems with personal or clothes washing. I did have a softener years ago, but the resin tank detriorated and sent resin into our lines, contaminating the fridge filter as well as making the water undrinkable. And we were taking that resin into our bodies and cooking with it! Never again. I got the same story about the water being very hard from the softener salesman.