Thread: Rubber Mulch
View Single Post

Old 01-27-2015, 02:29 PM
Veteran member
Location: Chicago, Arlington Hgts, North Aurora, Il. TV since 2002!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomoho View Post
I understand where Bonanza is coming from with this post. Those of us that love to garden and work in the yard are constantly trying to amend the "sand" we are working with in The Villages. Top soil is expensive and even if you bring it in it needs to be refreshed and rebuilt and and mulch is the only hope for that. Even if you don't bring topsoil in using mulch instead of the other options helps to at least build soil. But if gardening isn't your thing, not to worry, the plants seem to hang in there even under less favorable conditions of rock or rubber mulch.
I truly understand. My husband likes to garden and our garden is nothing elaborate but we have for the most part chosen wisely in what we have planted. Everything is frost/cold hardy. Our gardenias bushes/trees have gotten over 5ft. tall and produce hundreds of blooms several times a year, our rose bushes/dwarf trees also do extremely well. We used minimal topsoil and fertilize very little. I guess perhaps we have been lucky but everything thrives. We wanted to minimize the work and this has worked out great for us. I wish everyone happy gardening!