View Single Post

Old 01-13-2008, 04:58 PM
Taltarzac
Default Re: Scanning Your TV ID card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beady
l2ridehd.. I worked at a large well known boot,shoe and clothing manufactuers corporate headquarters in NE. I entered that building every day with my ID badge. Our company security was very intense and necessary because we also housed a R&D facility for boot design. I never even gave the use of a badge a second thought. No one was going to share my corporate identity.
My objection here is who sees the information when I am scanned. Who has access to it and will it be shared. I do not think that is impossible. If the information can build a model for the demograpics of such a large successful community and it's operations, can we be sure the information would not be shared or sold to other individuals or companies. Demographics are an important tool in marketing.I think the sale of that information is entirely possible. Call me silly, paranoid or whatever you like. I do not like the policy and I will continue to disagree with it, as that is my right. I will also "follow the rules" as some suggest but not willingly,again because in this free country I can.
They must have tightened up on id scanning and the like. We have toured the rec facility with the Humprey Bogart figure several times with relatives since it opened and they I believe just noted how many people came with us. I do not remember the people at the front desk asking more than one person to see an Villages ID. They did not scan it as far as I remember either.

Do get my ID scanned just before entering Villages Computer Club meetings most of the time but it varies a lot when I have used pools. They do ask at billiards without exception but that seems to be the only occasion I can remember that the "policy" is closely followed.

I do think you have a good point about marketing research though even though that seems to pale in comparison to what they probably collect every time one of us uses a credit card to buy groceries at Publix, Albertson's or the Super Wal-Mart.