View Single Post

Old 01-29-2015, 10:31 PM

My husband and I renovate homes for a living. We've installed more tile floors and showers than I can count. I put an additive in our grout powder which replaces the standard water. When mixed properly, it helps prevent staining and blocks water. However, I also seal the grout lines with a top-quality sealer that I purchase at our local tile store. I wait 48 hours to seal it. I use a small squeeze bottle with a sponge on the tip, one that resembles the type you would use to seal envelopes. It gets right in the grout line and makes quick work of the job. Some tiles need sealing, but not glazed ceramic and porcelain. I'm lazy. I buy tile I don't have to seal. I had a slate floor once that required sealing every year. Never again. Sealing the grout line really does make a difference. Without it, dirt soaks in and can be difficult to remove. When it's sealed, a gentle soap and a toothbrush does wonders. I then reseal. Most builders will not seal grout lines, not because they don't believe in it, but because it's time consuming. But since it's so easy to do, you can guarantee that it's done right when you do it yourself--or hire someone. One final note. I once had a bathroom with black grout. Unsealed by the builder, it quickly turned an ugly gray due to the lack of sealing. I ended up having to paint the grout black, then I sealed it. So, if your grout is dark, seal it before it becomes a bigger problem. More sealer on top of something already sealed won't hurt it.