View Single Post

Old 01-30-2015, 08:44 AM
TOTV SPONSOR

Thank you Dotti for the very kind words....I really appreciate it.

Just to clarify....I'll be the first to admit there are many different opinions on this subject, and mine I'm sure will not be the last. I have installed tile and grouted tile for many years and there are newer products with additives that do a much better job then in the past.

So...do I believe in sealing grout? Yes. In the homes I inspect that have sealed the grout, the grout looks cleaner and I actually seem to find less cracking in sealed grout. My personal feeling is that grout is only really clean once...when it is new.

If I were installing new tile in a home with a slab I would go the extra mile and install a membrane first, so cracks in the slab would be less likely to transfer to the tile. This is not commonly done here because of cost.

I would also use some of the newer tile grout with additives that inhibit mold and are less prone to cracking.

What Dotti was referring to is a type of grout sealer designed for already stained, dirty grout. This product is perfect when you have older grout that is already dirty and stained and does not come clean no matter what you do. I bought it many times at Grout Shield | Grout Restoration System It has a siliconized color additive in it, and they can match any standard grout color. Applying this on older grout makes it look brand new, and is warrantied for 20 years. I have seen red wine and soy sauce spilled on this after it is applied and the grout does not stain and the wine and soy sauce just beads up and wipes off.

This product can also change the color of your grout if you do not like the color, or have different colors showing from repairs, etc. Before I sold a house I would use this and it made 10 year old grout look brand new.

I do not own this company or have anything to do with them. I just have used and liked their products.

If I had a tile floor that still looked new and good, I would seal it with a good quality sealer. They have sealers now that have a matt finish and you cannot even tell they were sealed.

Lastly, beware of some guys out there who do not use the correct products and have ruined some peoples tile floors. There was one guy out there who was using cheap concrete sealer, NOT made for tile floors. The result was horrible and not easily repaired. Beware....

Hope this helps.

Respectfully, Frank D.