View Single Post

Old 01-13-2008, 08:34 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch
Default Re: Scanning Your TV ID card.

We need an "I disagree" goodie. Personally, I hate anything that smacks of Big Brother. I tolerate it because I have no choice but, whenever possible, I'll go the route that denies any entity to get excess or unnecessary information.

Yes, the government does need to know how much we have earned from sources besides ourselves since some people are a bit (?) more dishonest than others for tax purposes. No, the government does not need to know what I am doing with my funds so long as I give it its fair share.

The highway commission really doesn't need to know what turnpikes I am taking. They only need to know that I am paying my share. They can count the cars without going into specifics.

Airports do need to be sure you're not carrying illegal items and I do agree they need to be extra careful for those on their terrorist lists. They don't need my life history or my address. I have as much right to fly if I'm homeless or live in the White House.

TV does have a right to know that its facilities are being used by those who are authorized to use the same. If scanning prevents someone from using a counterfeit card, I'd probably be a little more happy in having my card scanned. However, I'm not convinced it would make a bit of difference. What is an employee to do if the scanner beeps obnoxiously? Say, oh, gee, you can't enter? Or is the employee more than likely to say there's something wrong the scanner, enjoy yourself?

So, as I've said, I will tolerate the invasion of my privacy because I truly have no choice, but that doesn't mean I have to like it and I will certainly do what I can to avoid those invasions whenever possible.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein