Thread: White Castle
View Single Post

Old 01-30-2015, 03:50 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
They are actually pretty easy to make at home.

1 pound ground beef
8 hot-dog buns or 16 hamburger buns
1/2 medium onion
salt to taste
pepper to taste
American cheese (optional)
pickle slices (optional)

1. Prepare the beef ahead of time by separating into sixteen 1-ounce portions and flattening each on wax paper into very thin square patties, about 2 1/2 inches on a side. Using a small circular object like the tip of a pen cap, make five small, evenly spaced holes in each patty. You can freeze these before cooking for ease of handling or cook fresh.

2. Using hot dog bun's, cut off the ends and slice in half then split. Using hamburger buns, cut each down to about a 2 1/2-inch square. If you can find slider buns, those work well also.

3. Slice the onion into match-size pieces.

4. Grill the faces of the buns in a large pan over medium heat.

5. In the hot pan, spread out tablespoon-size piles of onions 3 inches apart. Salt and pepper each pile of onions.

6. On each pile of onions place a beef patty. You may have to spread the onions out some so that the hamburger patty lies flat. Salt each patty as it cooks.

7. Cook each burger for 4 to 5 minutes on the onions. If you made the burgers thin enough, the holes will ensure that each patty is cooked thoroughly without flipping them over.

8. Assemble by sandwiching the patty and onions between each grilled bun.

Makes 16 burgers.

If you want to add pickle slices to your burger, as you can at White Castle outlets, stack them on top of the grilled onions. I like to use the thin sliced dills. I also like to add a bit of water and cover the pan so the burger streams for a few minutes once about half cooked. Makes them extra moist.

For a cheeseburger, you'll have to cut a slice of American cheese to the same size as your burger, and then it goes on top of the onions, under the pickles, if you use pickles.

And these taste exactly like the reaL THING.
good, but no ambiance,sigh!