View Single Post

Old 01-31-2015, 10:24 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post
I don't know if The Villages' agents can operate as a buyer's agent. That is usually up to the broker of an office. In all the offices I was ever affiliated with, my entire office of Realtors operated as "Transaction Brokers."

If you wanted an agent to be your Buyer's Agent, you would be the one paying their commission. They could not (by law) collect a commission from you and the co-broke commission from the commission the seller was paying. In other words, your buyer's agent could not collect two commissions.
Here is the most current Florida statute I could find on authorized brokerage real estate agency . Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine

The presumption is the agency is transactional but an agent can act as a seller's agent or a buyer's agent. However, such agreements must be in writing.

Over the past 20 years I have bought and sold several homes in two states (not Florida). When selling I always employed my agent as a seller's agent. When purchasing I always had a signed buyer's agency agreement with my agent. Never, ever, did I pay an additional commission to my buyer's agent. His/her commission came from the seller as if the agent was a transactional agent.

My question is can a Villages agent act as a buyer's agent for the Villages resale listings of other Villages brokers?

I know this can be a issue if a listing is within a single brokerage office.

Intuitively I would hazard a guess that when an agent of The Villages sells a new home the agent acts as the seller's (developer's) agent and that when an agent sells a resale he/she acts as a transactional agent in the normal course of things.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine