View Single Post

Old 01-31-2015, 12:17 PM
Soaring Eagle member

As a follow-up, coax based networks have typically provided better bandwidth than DSL based copper networks. DSL bandwidths drop off with distance from the switching station which has limited the internet speeds and ability to receive IPTV for some customers. Coax based cable companies typically deliver higher bandwidths but those bandwidths are shared among customers so your experience may vary depending on what your neighbors are doing. Fiber based networks to the house can deliver enormous bandwidths.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuccillo View Post
I suspect you actually have coax cable to the house and not copper. There are a lot of pieces needed to provide service to your home. Fiber is newer so all the pieces may be newer and perhaps more reliable. Most of the really high speed services are fiber based and even Comcast will be rolling out their HFC (hybrid fiber-coax) soon. I don't think anyone will debate that fiber is a better medium than coax but it doesn't mean that coax isn't acceptable. My comment about fiber was in the context that the newer areas of The Villages have fiber to the house and it may provide a better service than the older copper (real copper, not coax) networks for Century Link customers. It certainly supports higher bandwidths.