Thread: Roundabouts
View Single Post

Old 02-01-2015, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Kiefer View Post
Part of the problem and a big gripe for me is the failure of nearly 100% of drivers navigating a roundabout to ever use their turn signals to indicate their intention. Every Villager should take a few minutes to observe traffic in a roundabout, you will be shocked at how few drivers ever use a turn signal when making a right turn exiting from the roundabout. I have never viewed Law Enforcement stopping anyone for not using the required turn indicator.
Then there is also the opposite problem. I was waiting to enter a roundabout, looked to my left and saw only one car and it was in the outer lane. The driver of that car had the right turn signal on. I thought it was great that finally someone was using their turn signal. I anticipated that that car would be exiting to my left on the roundabout, thus allowing me to enter the roundabout without having to wait for that vehicle to pass by me. Fortunately, I was cautious and waited anyway because the driver did not exit the roundabout but continued on and exited at the following exit.

So, caution should be used even if a driver has the turn signal on because that is no guarantee that they will actually turn. Expect the unexpected.