View Single Post

Old 02-02-2015, 01:52 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
Here is the most current Florida statute I could find on authorized brokerage real estate agency . Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine

The presumption is the agency is transactional but an agent can act as a seller's agent or a buyer's agent. However, such agreements must be in writing.

Over the past 20 years I have bought and sold several homes in two states (not Florida). When selling I always employed my agent as a seller's agent. When purchasing I always had a signed buyer's agency agreement with my agent. Never, ever, did I pay an additional commission to my buyer's agent. His/her commission came from the seller as if the agent was a transactional agent.

My question is can a Villages agent act as a buyer's agent for the Villages resale listings of other Villages brokers?

I know this can be a issue if a listing is within a single brokerage office.

Intuitively I would hazard a guess that when an agent of The Villages sells a new home the agent acts as the seller's (developer's) agent and that when an agent sells a resale he/she acts as a transactional agent in the normal course of things.
There are agents who only work with buyers and do not list properties at all. If you did not pay an agent to represent you as a buyer then yes -- that agent collected commission from the selling broker's office. An agent cannot by law, collect more than one commission.

Truthfully, I do not know how The Villages operates. I have a feeling that regardless of whether their agents sell a new home or a resale, they act as transaction agents. I could be wrong; it's just my opinion, but in either situation they must be fair and honest in dealing in both types of sale, and must give full disclosure in both cases without divulging any private information that was given to them.