View Single Post

Old 02-02-2015, 01:34 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbussone View Post
Try "extra virgin first cold press" olive oil from Italy or Spain. There will be a significant increase over the price you have been paying but I believe it is worth it.

"If you want to buy the best olive oil, look for organic extra virgin oil that is labeled "cold pressed" or, even better, "first cold pressed."

Cold pressed means that the oil was not heated over a certain temperature (usually 80 degrees Fahrenheit) during processing, thus retaining more nutrients and undergoing less degradation. First cold pressed, which is of even higher quality than cold pressed, means that the oil was made with the first pressing of the olives.

It's important to be careful when purchasing olive oil produced in the United States. The standards in the European Union are very strict on which oils can be labeled cold pressed or first cold pressed. The United States has no labeling regulations on olive oil, which means that any oil produced in the U.S. can be labeled "cold pressed" even if it's not, just like any oil can be labeled "extra virgin" even if it's not."
For the last couple of days I've been using various chopped nuts in soups, salads and oatmeal etc. and it seems to be just as satisfying. Nuts, like walnuts, provide good fats, protein and fiber. So I may not need olive oil.

But I'm going be looking at various brands of extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) anyway. The following link gives some tips on how to tell if it's good EVOO.
And Aldi's Carlini brand did pass the test. In the past, I licked some of it off of a spoon and it was strong and bitter. Also, it usually solidifies, somewhat, in the fridge.

How to Pick Real Olive Oil | Mark's Daily Apple