Thread: Roundabouts
View Single Post

Old 02-03-2015, 09:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw View Post
Where I moved from, we had one area in the city where roundabouts were installed. There were two lanes of traffic merging into and exiting single lane roundabouts. Contrary to what some may think, during rush hours, the traffic moved smoothly through these roundabouts. Was there some back up of cars at the entrance to the roundabout? Yes. But much less than if you had a stop sign or a light at these intersections. I, too, was surprised that the two lanes to one lane would not have caused a lot more congestion, but it didn't. I wish the authorities would try one at the northern side of TV and see how it works. I think people would be pleasantly surprised. And it would be much less chaotic.
I agree with you, Outlaw. In the last week I have encountered 5 cars mis-navigating the roundabout at the St. James gate--entering at the same time as the car beside it and going 3/4 the way around in the outside lane. You can't fix arrogance, and you can't get to enough of the public to point out what they're doing wrong. The signs obviously are not helping, probably because they are being ignored.

It would take some simple striping to narrow these roads down to one lane going into the roundabout and make the RAB one lane. Everybody exits to the right, and no lane changing. It has been working in Europe forever. Only in big cities do they have roundabouts with more than one lane. And we are not a big city.