View Single Post

Old 02-05-2015, 08:50 AM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I think Rags established that. What do you think we can do as voters to keep these kinds of jobs here in the U.S.?

Or do you have a view? Do you think giving our large corporations tax breaks would help? Do you worry about the future of U.S. business?
My view is that we need to forget the "politics" of this and those issues that are on the fringe of this issue. Not trying to be political, but the Simpson Bowles commission that the President put together when he took office, to me was a great idea. Forgetting whether I agree or disagree with their suggestions, we need bi partisan DISCUSSION of our economy and how it will merge or fit with the international scene.

As with all the issues facing us today, we need to recognize how international all of the issues facing us are. That does not stop with economics, but also with all foreign policy.

A complete tax overhaul from A to Z is needed, and done in such an environment that politics can be removed. How do you do that ? Not sure to be honest, but having a bi partisan committee meet as Simpson Bowles did...quietly, no media, no press releases, etc. until there is something to propose to congress.

We cannot continue to do things "piecemeal" in my opinion. I think much of what the President did concerning the economy when first elected was sterling, but turning aside the Simpson Bowles report and ignoring it was a big mistake.

To those who say that what happens across the globe is not our problem, I say look around...our world is so small now. It is the economy and all else that is tied together....we may not like it but it is true.

The old cliche about "throw them all out and start over" relative to our elected officials may not be possible, but boy I just do not know how we get rid of all the ingrained political ideas that interfere with any real growth in this country, and decide that not only does terrorism in other lands matter to us, but economics in those lands effect us. Just look at NAFTA...sounded good twenty some years ago, but it has not worked.

Now for years, the current administration has been bargaining on the Trans Pacific Partnership, and it appears that maybe both the administration and congress are on board on this. I suggest all read whatever they can about it.

The loss of workers in the case cited can be layed at the feet of NAFTA and also the lack of enforcement of existing laws to protect workers in this country.