View Single Post

Old 02-05-2015, 01:17 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post
Although I attended a welcome to the Villages VCDD meeting in January, I am thinking about attending the Wednesday 8 A.M. VCDD questions and answers session this coming Wednesday as I will be down in The Villages that week.

I am still not clear on the relationship of the VCCDD to the VCDD with the use of all of the interlocal agreements. Who controls whom and by the way who controls the VCCDD? These relationships seem to have a bearing on the IRS case.

I will also ask for copies of the Exhibits or attachments to the IRS 5701 Notice of Proposed Issue which I can’t find on the VCDD web site.

The Notice of Proposed Issue by the IRS gave me an interesting historical overview of the interworking’s of the Villages. The accuracy of that view may also have a bearing on the case.
Please let us know what you find out.

As I recall, there are some inaccuracies in the IRS "history" of The Villages. For example, the history indicates that the gates keep nonresidents out. In fact, the roads are public and the gates are merely to slow down traffic and provide security by photographing license plates and drivers.

While I have some views on the matter, I have never spent a lot of time analyzing the respective merits of the IRS's position versus that of the Developer/Center Districts. The controversy is complicated, and our views on the merits don't really matter. What matters is the potential effect on us Villagers if the IRS sustains its position.

This is because that will be a situation where our interests are in direct conflict with those of the Developer. I.e., Somebody will have to bear the resulting costs, and who will it be? Ultimately, the costs should fall on the Developer, but it could take a protracted and costly legal battle to make that happen.

So, let's root for a Developer victory or that the IRS simply bans future use of tax-exempt financing by the Center Districts. (Although our amenity fees are currently being diverted to finance the defense of the Developer's actions, so far this diversion does not seem to have impacted the level of our amenities. Thus, I guess we cannot complain-- yet.)