Thread: Gates
View Single Post

Old 02-05-2015, 07:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster View Post
Barefoot posted the above on another thread and I thought it an interesting subject and maybe worth a thread of its own.
First some history.
When the gates were first installed there was no provision for entrance without a card or pressing a button to connect to someone who could open it remotely. Gate cards were given out to lawn people, contractors etc. Every Tom, Dick and Harry had one. Then the county stepped in and said they were public roads and should open to the public. A compromise was reached and the county allowed the gates with a provision they could be opened by anyone. (The red button)
They have become vital to traffic control especially in regard to golf carts. However, the nuisance factor could be relieved by having them open the same way the exit gates open. No card and less frequent window motor replacements. I would think adjustments could be made to require a vehicle to come to a complete stop before the gate would open. I am considering taking this to the next level but thought I might get some input here first.
Good idea? Bad idea? Got a better idea? Let sleeping dogs lie?
Good idea.