Thread: Sylvester Palm
View Single Post

Old 02-07-2015, 02:14 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post
My notes from the Extension Agent on caring for our large Sylvester: "Palms need slow-release fertilizer. Use Lesco 8-2-12 from John Deere Store at 1201 Thomas Avenue, Leesburg, (352) 748-6555.
Apply 1.5 lbs. per 100 sq. ft. of canopy every two months from March to Sept.
Broadcast the fertilizer out under the canopy to the drip line; Sylvester roots can spread 50 ft.
Don't buy fertilizers with oxides. Don't use Epsom salts for magnesium, can cause potassium deficiency. Don't use iron oxide or magnesium secrete. No cow manure or fertilizer stakes. Palms need boron.
You can use palm fertilizer (8-2-12) on turf and shrubs, as well. If using on shrubs, apply March, July, September. Do not use any other fertilizer on the grass near the palm."
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
Simple, follow the Master Gardeners and Jim Davis of the UF extension service.
Trace elements should be given to all palms. The ratios are important and the total amount has an upper limit before it harms the palm. If you add one mineral and not the others it can harm the palm. That is why you should use Lescoe fertilizers that are man made and include amounts that are balanced (more or less) for palms. If you add only (epson salt) magnesium and not the others you will potentially end up in trouble.
Epsom salts contain quick release water soluble magnesium sulfate.
Too much magnesium and you may get a lock up of potassium.
how much more iinfo do you need not to use it? I have over 30 palms, I have been using Lesco two years, they are thriving.
I also use a drip system on each one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happydaz View Post
Using Epsom salts on palms is, as has already been stated, an immediately available dose of magnesium. This one shot deal is not the best choice for palm trees. It is better to use a balanced fertilizer with micronutrients such as 8-2-12-4. The best fertilizers have higher ratios of ingredients in a slow release form.
Nowhere in my post did I say that magnesium is the only thing you should use on palms.
It most certainly is a good thing to use in the fertilization process for palms as a supplement.
I also clearly stated to "follow the directions."