Thread: Roundabouts
View Single Post

Old 02-07-2015, 08:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
A couple more comments, then I'll bow out of this thread...

Examples of working single lane roundabouts are useless unless specifics are compared...traffic volumes, geometrics, nature of approaching roads, design speeds, street network in the vicinity of the roundabout(s), and much more.

In TV, I believe Buena Vista is 4-lane for its entire length. Morse is 4-lane for almost it's entire length, with only a short section in the older areas being 2-lane. Making the roundabouts 1-lane would reduce the capacity of Buena Vista and Morse to that of a 2-lane road throughout TV, even a bit less because of reduced speed in the roundabouts and recurring, frequent merge areas that would be required.

Picture peak season traffic in The Villages. Now picture that peak season with all roads in TV (which pass through a roundabout) being in effect only 2-lanes, only worse because of constant merging. That increased congestion is the 'chaos' I referred to. Sorry if I overdramatized a bit. [emoji4]
I don't think that you're over dramatizing at all. The idea of one lane round abouts on four lane roads is absurd.

The round abouts work well and are simple to navigate.

If you get the online news that we are not allowed to mention, every so often you'll see reports of car accidents. Very few, none that I can recall, in fact, of these accidents have happened at round abouts. Most seem to be at the intersections of Morse and 466, 466a and Buena Vista and 466 and 466A.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.