View Single Post

Old 01-16-2008, 06:15 AM
Default Re: What was your profession prior to retirement? This is really interesting.

OKay Donna, horselover. What can I tell you? In NJ, you have to be an RN to work directly with the inmates, in my capacity. However, you can be a med-tech, working in the Infirmary passing out meds at a window, to hundreds of woman. That would drive me nuts. Also, LPN's are employed in prisons. Here's how I see it . . . somebody has to take care of inmates, so why not me. They "like the person giving them pills" so I'm not a threat to them. It's more safe (is that proper English)? than working in a hospital. Heck, I had psyche patients and med surg patients alike - throw things at me, smack me in the hospital. In the prison setting, there's always an officer right there. And, with the click of a radio, 20 more will be there in 20 seconds. Never felt threatened or scared. Felt both while working in a hospital, several times. And I love the inmates. They've never had stability in their lives; I like providing that for them. Very rewarding on my end. Pls. email me and we can chat further. Keep the responses coming. This is so interesting to read. Amazing careers!