View Single Post

Old 02-08-2015, 01:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
I really wish our reporters would do just that -- report the news. I don't want giggles. I don't want your version. I don't want your personal stories. Just the facts, thank you very much. I'm a big girl and will ingest those facts as I see fit.

Commentators are free to say what they will, so long as they let people know these are their opinions. Again, I'll listen and decide on my own.

This is why I like Al Jazeera America. I know when I am listening to news and when I am hearing opinions. Their news really does seem to be based on facts. When needed, both sides of the coin are given. When it is conjecture, whether by the reporter or a statesman or someone on the streets, they let you know.

As to Mr. Williams, he got hung by his own petard. For now, he has taken a leave of absence since he supposedly doesn't want to be the story. I hope he doesn't come back. We deserve better.
What I find very disconcerting is that people watch the various cable "news" channels and consider that they are actually watching new. Oh, they get a smattering which is manipulated by editors to omit, embellish, and move the story to the direction they want.

The post above alluding to a certain cable channel, and folks on there "stretching the facts" really concerns me because people believe they are actually watching news.

It is difficult today, to get facts and takes more work than it should.

Have only "tested" Al Jazzeera but will revisit, however they are not immune...

"One and a half years ago, Suliman, 42, re-set his watch to German time, having become disenchanted with Al-Jazeera. And it wasn't just because the broadcaster seemed less interested in reports from Europe. Rather, Suliman had the feeling that he was no longer being allowed to work as an independent journalist.

Last August, he quit his job. "Before the beginning of the Arab Spring, we were a voice for change," he says, "a platform for critics and political activists throughout the region. Now, Al-Jazeera has become a propaganda broadcaster."

Suliman is not the only one who feels bitterly disappointed. The Arab TV network has recently suffered an exodus of prominent staff members. Reporters and anchors in cities like Paris, London, Moscow, Beirut and Cairo have left Al-Jazeera, despite what are seen as luxurious working conditions in centrally located offices. And despite the fact that the network is investing an estimated $500 million (€375 million) in the US, so as to reach even more viewers on the world's largest television market -- one in which its biggest competitor, CNN, is at home.

Al Jazeera Criticized for Lack of Independence after Arab Spring - SPIEGEL ONLINE

PS....this link goes back a year and half ago, so perhaps the situation is cured...if so I apologize and am willing to delete. Just showing that they all get accused. I will begin to watch...just tracked down the channel number