Thread: Water
View Single Post

Old 02-08-2015, 04:23 PM
TOTV SPONSOR
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulz View Post
Track down NOVA Water filtration on this site and read the reviews. Bob installed ours right after we moved in, 3 filters, 20 and 10 mic. Particle filters and a 5 mic. Carbon filter. Cost installed around $500 and replacement filters under $100/year. His phone number is 631-388-1048 and he lives in TV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh View Post
Had a Culligan softener for a number of years. Water was soft, though water here in the community isn't hard, but it tasted terrible unless you used the filtered fridge water. When the resin tank in the softener went belly up and resin particles were showing up in the water imparting an even worse taste, we switched to the Nova system. Water right out of the faucet tastes great, haven't seen any residue on dishes or silverware, and no problems with lack of suds in washing...people, clothes, dishes...
Thanks for your feedback,

see myths about water softeners link below.

The water here is not that hard, softeners are not needed necessarily, I offer them but in two years of installing the Nova system no one has asked for one to be added.

The carbon that some offer with their softeners are really not effective, I've seen them side by side, there really and truly is no comparison.

See what type of carbon they use......guess what it doesn't say anything on the canisters just like the fridge filters no spec's what so ever no mention of the type of carbon, no mention if a lose pack (shake it can you hear it moving around?)

My filter uses coconut shell carbon, second only to scientific grade, it is then compressed in to bloc, kinda like a brick.

You may ask why, it because water will take the path of least resistance, it will find or make channels thru lessor quality units, therefore, you will not get 99.9% filtered water more like 80-85%.

Also their micron ratings are 10-20 microns, mine is 5 Micron, clearly stated on the cartridge.

those two factors make a huge difference.

I've been in water filtration biz (since 1974) with aquariums and very delicate aquaria and corals, either of which will not survive or thrive without superior water quality.

I use a triple container system each filter is 4.5" X 20", look at the size of others. usually 4x10 or 2.5x10,

I also add a input street supply pressure gaugeThe Villages Florida and a post filter gaugeThe Villages Florida that way you can tell if the filters need replacement before the standard 12-15 month time table.

Lastly softeners can add salt in your water which if you have BP issues can't be beneficial, there is sufficient data indicating they promote kidney stones.

But if you still want one I can install one............but suggest not to.

Thanks for reading

Bob
A village resident