View Single Post

Old 02-08-2015, 07:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
After the show the newspapers and radio news broadcast made the point that this fictional story caused real panic when it did not. That's the lie.

I don't have any broadcasters to share with you. Therefore he must be the only one that ever lied.
I dont know....but will share a few things...

from Wiki...

"Producer John Houseman noticed that at about 8:32 p.m. ET, CBS supervisor Davidson Taylor received a telephone call in the control room. Creasing his lips, Taylor left the studio and returned four minutes later, "pale as death". He had been ordered to interrupt "The War of the Worlds" broadcast immediately with an announcement of the program's fictional content, but by that time actor Ray Collins was choking on the roof of Broadcasting Building and the break was less than a minute away. During the sign-off theme the phone began ringing. Houseman picked it up and the furious caller announced he was mayor of a Midwestern town where mobs were in the streets. Houseman hung up quickly: "For we were off the air now and the studio door had burst open."[3]:404

The following hours were a nightmare. The building was suddenly full of people and dark-blue uniforms. Hustled out of the studio, we were locked into a small back office on another floor. Here we sat incommunicado while network employees were busily collecting, destroying or locking up all scripts and records of the broadcast. Finally the Press was let loose upon us, ravening for horror. How many deaths had we heard of? (Implying they knew of thousands.) What did we know of the fatal stampede in a Jersey hall? (Implying it was one of many.) What traffic deaths? (The ditches must be choked with corpses.) The suicides? (Haven't you heard about the one on Riverside Drive?) It is all quite vague in my memory and quite terrible.[3]:404

Paul White, head of CBS News, was quickly summoned to the office — "and there bedlam reigned", he wrote:

The telephone switchboard, a vast sea of light, could handle only a fraction of incoming calls. The haggard Welles sat alone and despondent. "I'm through," he lamented, "washed up." I didn't bother to reply to this highly inaccurate self-appraisal. I was too busy writing explanations to put on the air, reassuring the audience that it was safe. I also answered my share of incessant telephone calls, many of them from as far away as the Pacific Coast.[21]:47–48

The War of the Worlds (radio drama) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I have seen a few places..that rag Slate for one...who just need to vent on everything who question everything BUT

Bottom line is that in my opinion, there is NO...NONE relationship. The Williams story is important as it it REAL, not some fictional story. This is a man responsible to deliver NEWS to the nation.....REAL NEWS, and the on thing that is a model for that person is to be trusted. Once the public does not trust you, it is over.