Thread: Water
View Single Post

Old 02-09-2015, 01:53 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Everyone should do their own research regarding water softeners. In the interest of setting the record straight, the amount of sodium (not salt) added to the water during the ion exchange process is in the range of about 24 mgs per cup of water. This is a really small amount. If you eat processed food, this amount of sodium may be negligible. If for some reason you don't want even this small amount (for example, you are trying to reduce your sodium intake as much as possible) you can use potassium chloride instead of sodium chloride in your softener. Potassium chloride cost more than sodium chloride but modern water softeners are very efficient and it will cost about $2/month for sodium chloride and $7/month for potassium chloride assuming the typical amount of water that 2 people would use per month in The Villages. The water in The Villages is pretty hard and many people prefer soft water. The removal of chlorine is also a personal choice. I personally like soft, chlorine free water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova Filtration View Post
Thanks for your feedback,

see myths about water softeners link below.

The water here is not that hard, softeners are not needed necessarily, I offer them but in two years of installing the Nova system no one has asked for one to be added.

The carbon that some offer with their softeners are really not effective, I've seen them side by side, there really and truly is no comparison.

See what type of carbon they use......guess what it doesn't say anything on the canisters just like the fridge filters no spec's what so ever no mention of the type of carbon, no mention if a lose pack (shake it can you hear it moving around?)

My filter uses coconut shell carbon, second only to scientific grade, it is then compressed in to bloc, kinda like a brick.

You may ask why, it because water will take the path of least resistance, it will find or make channels thru lessor quality units, therefore, you will not get 99.9% filtered water more like 80-85%.

Also their micron ratings are 10-20 microns, mine is 5 Micron, clearly stated on the cartridge.

those two factors make a huge difference.

I've been in water filtration biz (since 1974) with aquariums and very delicate aquaria and corals, either of which will not survive or thrive without superior water quality.

I use a triple container system each filter is 4.5" X 20", look at the size of others. usually 4x10 or 2.5x10,

I also add a input street supply pressure gaugeThe Villages Florida and a post filter gaugeThe Villages Florida that way you can tell if the filters need replacement before the standard 12-15 month time table.

Lastly softeners can add salt in your water which if you have BP issues can't be beneficial, there is sufficient data indicating they promote kidney stones.

But if you still want one I can install one............but suggest not to.

Thanks for reading

Bob
A village resident