View Single Post

Old 02-09-2015, 03:13 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cms36 View Post
Hey all:

Is a commission to the buyers agent mandatory? I'm considering a fsbo on our house in VA and doing it to avoid paying anybody anything (besides closing). I need all the cash I can get, and have a hard time paying the same 6% to someone if they are selling a $800K house or a $200K house and they're doing the same amount of work.

I understand an agent can get more eyes on the property than I can but with Zillow, Craigslist, word of mouth, neighbors, Trulia, etc., and being in a hot market, do I really need to worry about agents?

If you want a Realtor to show your property, yes -- a commission is a necessity. There is no way around that. It can be 3%, or whatever you work out beforehand (in writing). Dealing with any agent is strictly up to you, but don't cut off your nose to spite your face. You will get far more traffic if you will cooperate with an agent. When you put out a sign you will get calls from agents. That's just the nature of the business.

I don't know the price of your house but I can tell you will that you will get considerably more traffic if your home is in the $200,000 price range. It stands to reason the percentage of people who can afford that is significantly higher than those who can afford to spend almost a million dollars.

I don't know how long you have owned your house or what you paid, but what you "need" has nothing to do with your house's worth. My advice to you is not to get greedy because if you do, you probably will be there a long time unless your property is in a really "hot" area for home sales. Don't price yourself out of the ball park.

Last edited by Bonanza; 02-09-2015 at 03:18 AM. Reason: correction