View Single Post

Old 02-09-2015, 06:41 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
I don't disagree with your closing statement. However it has been documented AND admitted by attendees, including Newt Gingrich, that republican leaders met THE NIGHT OF OBAMA'S INAUGURATION, and pledged to do everything in their power to obstruct this President's agenda. I am not overreacting - it is fact, and it was long before the ACA.
I have heard those stories and if they ever turn out to be true, I would be very disappointed A year ago, the Washington Post investigated the ongoing statments about obstruction.....

"“So far this year, Republicans in Congress have blocked every serious idea to strengthen the middle class.”

–President Obama, weekly address, July 12, 2014

This has become a standard line in the president’s oratory, as part of making his case that he’s “acted this year to help working Americans on my own– when Congress won’t act.”

The president started on this path on June 27, during a speech in Minnesota: “You know, sometimes I’m forcibly, you know, politic about how I say things, but I’m finding lately that I just want to say what’s on my mind. So, let me just be clear I want you to think about this, so far this year the Republicans in Congress have blocked or voted down every single serious idea to strengthen the middle class.”

And Obama repeated it on July 1: “So far this year, Republicans in Congress have blocked or voted down every serious idea to strengthen the middle class.”

But here’s the odd thing: on the very day the president recorded his weekly address, the office of House Speaker John A. Boehner (R-Ohio) released this photo under the happy headline of “What Working Together Looks Like.” It showed Boehner, Democratic leader Nancy Pelosi (Calif.) and other lawmakers signing the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act, which streamlines job training programs, so it could be sent to Obama for his signature.

“This morning, leaders of both parties in the House came together to get something done for the millions of Americans who continue to struggle to find work in today’s economy,” the news release said.

Obama’s claim that the GOP has ‘blocked every serious idea’ - The Washington Post

I think what you hear and have taken a tight hold of was a POLITICAL meeting....one that was documented actually in a book during the 2008 election I think but if you read it, you will find it was more political (do not act like a minority...make him earn it, etc) which if I felt it was vital I could easily come up with like quotes and meetings on the other side.

Your point is a fair one;...fact is bills were passed and pushed aside...the charge that the House did nothing is not true.

WHAT IS TRUE is that neither party has even tried to work together in anway. I mention the Affordable Care Act for this reason and this is my PERSONAL opinion...I have no links or anything. All I can say is I have been intimately involved in politics basically all my life...for a time, that was my job, and ironically for the Democratic Party.

In any case, never in my life have I seen such a defeated group like the Republican party during the Affordable Care act process. There was a meeting telecast live.....as a result of pressure being applied....Short story...Obama made a promise many time about public conversations with both parties represented and telecast on CSPAN. He just ignored that and the media was on him about it, so he engineered a "dog and pony show" that was telecast, where frankly and if you saw it you would recall it...where the Republicans were treated as younger brothers and sisters and basically mocked. NEVER had I seen any party so defeated. It was embarassing to me an must have been simple horror for the Republicans who attended.

In any case, it was compounded because the Democrats left that meeting and went again behind closed doors to discuss this bill.

THAT DAY to me was a turning point in attitude. I think when one party has the WH and both houses, and rubs it in...it hurts and is deflating. Not once in either term has the WH reached out.

In any case, I am sure there is evidence for what you say, and as I said I have seen it, but to me, it was all political and not all that unique (no sense looking and boring you with like stories from the other side)....I am doint all my measuring by ACTIONS...bills passed, etc.

At least we agree that they better get it together. I am sure that you do not agree that the weight of that is on the President but I think as he has say over and ovr and over and over, he will veto anything he does not like will not being them together.