View Single Post

Old 02-10-2015, 06:55 PM
n/a

I have no idea of what is going on in private with Iran. I, personally have zero trust in Iran, but just to set the table.

The debate between President Obama, Congress and Netanyahu seem to based on Obama not wanting Congress to pass legislation to increase sanctions on Iran....Congress want to pass legislation to do that BUT not now but in the future (in other words in our negotiators back pocket) Netanyahu is concerned about his country and if they will survive should these negotiations fall apart.

Today.....from the DEMOCRATIC side of this...

"A day after he reportedly traded “sharp words” with President Obama, Sen. Bob Menendez said on Friday that he was still convinced Congress should impose tougher economic sanctions on Iran that would take effect in July if nuclear negotiations do not result in an agreement.

“I have a fundamental disagreement with the president,” Menendez told reporters at a news conference in Monmouth County. “I believe in negotiating out of strength.”

Obama and British Prime Minister David Cameron said at a joint news conference at the White House that new sanctions could disrupt negotiations. Cameron said he had even called some senators about the issue.

“The likelihood of the entire negotiations collapsing is very high,” Obama said, noting that a “military showdown” could follow.

Sen. Menendez stands firm over dispute with President Obama on Iran - News - NorthJersey.com

Also part of this link and important..

"Menendez refused to comment on what he thought was a private discussion, but he told reporters that the sanctions bill he supports would not take effect until a month after Obama has said negotiations should be concluded. The bill also gives Obama the power to waive new sanctions.

“So it is counterintuitive to understand that somehow Iran will walk away because of some sanctions that would never take place if they strike a deal, and for which the president has waiver authority,” Menendez said

He said that a law he sponsored with Sen. Mark Kirk, R-Ill., which passed unanimously over the administration’s objections in 2012, caused the economic disruption that brought Iran to the negotiating table."

Now Netanyahu has this to say today....

"Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu announced Tuesday that he has a "profound disagreement" with the United States and its negotiating partners in talks with Iran to curb the country's nuclear program, and is keeping his plans to address a joint meeting of Congress next month.

"I am going to the United States not because I seek a confrontation with the President, but because I must fulfill my obligation to speak up on a matter that affects the very survival of my country," Netanyahu said in a televised statement. "We have a profound disagreement with the United States administration and the rest of the P5+1 over the offer that was made to Iran. This offer will enable Iran to threaten Israel's survival."

Netanyahu appeared to be referencing the agreement in the works between the United States and the five other world powers negotiating with Iran. Iran must reach an initial framework agreement with the world powers by March 24.

Netanyahu pledged to address Congress before that deadline "because Congress might have a role with an important nuclear deal with Iran."

Netanyahu stands by plans to address Congress next month - CNN.com

I might add on the words being used about an election in Israel, that the Prime minister of England roamed the halls of congress lobbying on behalf of the President.

"Netanyahu insisted Tuesday that "Isarel's survival is not a partisan issue, not in Israel nor in the United States."