View Single Post

Old 01-17-2008, 07:53 PM
beartrack1
Default Re: The Economy: Maintain a mortgage or pay it off?

Thanks Steve,

One thing that you didn't take into consideration though, is the money from the sale of our current home. I have had offers of less then $1500 a month for a really nice 3 bedroom well maintained home in TV. But I'll use your figure of $1500 a month or $18,000 for the year. Lets take a figure of $300,000 from the sale of our existing home, @ 5% in a year that would be $15,000 without compounding which would add some more to the final figure. Hypothetically, I would be renting for an entire year for approx $2,000. If I decided to rent for another year then based on compounding I would be living rent free and if I continued to rent I would not only live rent free but, I would have a surplus. I also would not have to worry about the turnover from the developer or assessments or increases in amenity fees. All this is based on only 5%. Traditionally my portfolios have done much better then that. I can not imagine that we would want to rent for that long but, this is a very plausible scenario. ( if one really wants a better nights sleep )