View Single Post

Old 02-11-2015, 09:01 PM
Veteran member

I had seat belts installed in our golf cart. I wouldn't ride in a cart without belts now, no more than I would go out bicycling without my helmet. Golf cart drivers in The Villages often ride at too high a speed to negotiate corners or avoid curbs. I have passed carts in my car where I had to accelerate to pass them as they were doing 25+ miles per hour! These altered carts put a lot of pressure on other golf carts as they often pass them even though they were doing 20mph! I know I have been passed on a curve on the MultiModal path by an altered cart that was doing 25+. I honked the horn and in response the lady in a rush who passed me on a curve just honked her horn and accelerated! Golf carts are inherently unstable and should not be altered to go over 20mph. I would hope the police would ticket more of these impatient speeders. They endanger walkers, bicyclists, and other golf carters. When they pass you on a curve remember one thing, they are going to cut you off and slam back into your lane if they see another cart coming around the curve from the opposite direction. They will put their safety over yours and drive you off the path and possibly cause your cart to tip over. Most people are not stupid enough to pass on a curve when they are in their car, (probably because of the double yellow line.) but put them in a golf cart and they will pass on a curve when they can't see what is coming around in the opposite direction. It has happened to me on my bicycle as well even though I was doing 15mph. I yelled at the driver that he should not pass on a curve. I have also decided to not ride any more to the far right around tight curves and now take the whole lane so as to discourage passing. When the road straightens out, then I ride far to the right side of the MM path.