View Single Post

Old 02-12-2015, 01:18 PM
Sage

Overall, your opening post provides very good information.

Having said that, I would like question the technical correctness of the last paragraph of item #1. In a sense it is correct because in the second sentence they qualify their statement by using the phrase "suffer with".

They mention 4% and 50% have Alzheimer's which I assume begins at the time of diagnosis. But the disease exists long before there's a diagnosis, which I'm sure you already know.

Here's the way I think of it: If roughly 50% have Alzheimer's over the age of 85, then it's quite possible or likely that roughly 50% have the undiagnosed disease at about age 75.

Of course it may be difficult or impossible to prove in some cases, but I think the likelihood exists because, as many of us know, this disease doesn't just pop up overnight. Anyway, at the very least, I think the 4% figure between ages 65 and 74 is a joke. I think it may give a false impression to many people.

BTW, the average remaining brain weight at age 75 is 56% and that may support what I have stated above. (That's from the same book that stated the average remaining taste buds at age 75 = 36%)

Last edited by Villages PL; 02-14-2015 at 02:44 PM.