View Single Post

Old 01-18-2008, 03:03 PM
Eternal Member
Default Re: Compare costs and benefits of a Courtyard Villa w/ a Ranch on a $200,000 budget

I have a few comments regarding your original post:

1) I think some of the estimates you've quoted for additions are a little high. My neighbor had his 2 car driveway done with pavers, and had his lanai done with the same. All of that cost him $4000. You're allowing for $6000. Some of the others seem high to me. Labor cost in TV is much less than it is in NYC so I am constantly surprised about how much less things are in TV. So I'd expect overall you've estimated on the high side, further making a financial case for the ranch.

2) The apples-oranges comment is dead on. These are 2 very different homes, and environments around them. You should definitely ride around mature ranch home neighborhoods, and the same for the villas. I was torn between a villa and house, and I didn't need a fence but thought it might be nice. I went for the house in the end because I really like the way the neighborhoods look. I wasn't crazy about the relative "sameness" of the villas as you looked down the block and saw the garages. But as the only homes that have fences, they are definitely a must for many people. And their neighborhoods seem a little more intimate.
So your decision may turn out to be "Do I need a fence or not?"

3) I agree with the square fottage comment above - you will probably not regret having a few hundred more sq ft in the house.

One good thing - it is really tough to buy the wrong house in TV. Deciding on buying there to begin with is the real key decision.

Best of luck with whatever you do.