Thread: Bowe Bergdahl
View Single Post

Old 02-13-2015, 09:50 AM
n/a

Some of the most recent stories on this...

A opinion piece...

"I can’t stop thinking about Bowe Bergdahl. Not since CNN’s recent report that one of the “Taliban Five” freed from Guantanamo Bay in exchange for the undeserving Army sergeant may very well have re-engaged in “terrorist or insurgent activities.”

It brings to mind the White House Rose Garden celebration President Obama hosted in May for Bob and Jani Bergdahl, Bowe’s parents.

Said Obama: “Bob and Jani, today families across America share in the joy that I know you feel. As a parent, I can’t imagine the hardship that you guys have gone through. As president, I know I speak for all Americans when I say we cannot wait for the moment when you are reunited and your son, Bowe, is back in your arms.”

As to those who would question the wisdom of releasing five “high-value” Taliban detainees from Gitmo (and flying them off to Qatar, where they are free to roam the country), Obama stated: “The Qatar government has given us assurances that it will put in place measures to protect our national security.”

Obama has put Bergdahl in the rear-view mirror - The Orange County Register

"According to an Army official, the highly controversial Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl will be charged with desertion from the U.S. Army.

Bergdahl reportedly disappeared from his post in Afghanistan nearly six years ago. His platoon-mates say that Bergdahl willingly deserted the post. The Pentagon recently stated that its investigation into the matter will wrap up soon, with the likelihood of charges against Bergdahl almost assured.

Sgt. 1st Class Nathan Botts, a 22-year veteran in the Army, was in the same battalion as Bergdahl, and he believes that “it is clear” that Bergdahl deserted his post. Botts said that he is hopeful that Bergdahl will be charged as a traitor.

According to Botts, tensions in Afghanistan were high every day, but never as high as the day that Bergdahl disappeared from his post. Botts said that because he was a high-ranking senior NCO, that he was in a unique position to pass along information from Bergdahl’s unit to the Battalion Commanders.

“I was getting information directly from the platoon, and also from the company, of what was going on. And I was briefing the brigade S-3 and also the brigade commander himself.”
Botts said that “everything stopped that day,” and that their number one mission moving forward was locating Bergdahl.

He said that the Army had never stopped looking for Bergdahl, and that the impact of Bergdahl’s actions didn’t become truly evident until people in Botts’ own battalion started getting killed.

Some Of Bowe Bergdahl’s Fellow Soldiers Believe That His Actions Are Worthy Of The Death Penalty