View Single Post

Old 02-13-2015, 07:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
I admit my ignorance but assumed the comcast modem is used in conjunction with my TV,Internet and phone? In the past any problem with the aforementioned the customer service people tried troubleshooting through cables. The light indicators warn of such problems. so if i purchase my own modem what affect does it have on TV and telephone and troubleshooting? I hate the rental charges also
No effect on the television side of Comcast...we have it and it was not involved or affected.
The modem that I recommended above is a basic modem only. If you have Comcast phone there is a similar model that has the phone ports on it.

I have Ooma so I did not need the modem with the phone ports as I run Ooma to my router.

The telephone customer service people are quite helpful on this subject when one tells them you are going to purchase your own modem.

After the change over one does have to monitor the billing. I was told my rental would end with the activation of my new modem. When I got the first bill afterwards, the rental was still there and had to have them delete it again. We'll see what happens next month.