View Single Post

Old 02-15-2015, 06:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Shands is part of the University of Florida School of Medicine and so it is a teaching hospital that is well staffed and run and it is in Gainesville which I think is an hour away..

Only the building is owned by The Villages here. It is rented to a group that runs hospitals and it does not have what a large teaching hospital has to offer for sure.

Even the most superior hospital would be put to the test by having the population swell in the months of January, February and March.

However, I am pretty sure asking for one's own doctor to come to the hospital for an emergency may not be realistic in this day and age.

Telling a hospital staff member that you are healthy is not realistic without your latest health records. They have a responsibility to conduct blood tests and other monitoring tests when you are admitted.
And many hospitals are switching to a system where they have " in house" doctors, so you may not even be allowed to see your own doctor while in the hospital because they don't make hospital visits any more.

I do believe, though, that just about every area of FL swells in the winter months, and some hospitals are equipped to handle it better.

Lots of people who are very fit and eat and exercise right turn up with heart issues. Just because OP said she was in the weight & health field should not have caused them to disregard the testing. However, it is odd that the doctor ordered one test and the nurses decided to do a different one. That seems illogical or illegal, and I wonder if there's some information the OP doesn't know about or hasn't included here regarding this change in testing.