Thread: Fads
View Single Post

Old 01-19-2008, 02:56 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts
Default Re: Fads

Darn it, Nonie,

I was not going to take the time to post this evening. You see, I have really important things to do like watch "Monk" in a few minutes. But when you said that about the boyfriend's ring and the angora, I had a flashback and I could not resist.

Besides, I want to know if high school girls anywhere else in the country did this.

Here goes:

The boyfriend's ring was wrapped with ribbon so that it would fit. But it did not stop there. Wrapping the ribbon through for the few times it took to close the size gap just was not enough for us small town girls.

After we made the size right, we would fold the ribbon back and forth and back and forth, like folding a little fan, until we had a great big thing (for lack of a better word) that could reach from the palm nearly to the top of the first knuckle up if we really had too much time on our hands. (Yes, I know. Groan.)

But Wait! There's More!

After we had created the huge blob of ribbon, we would turn it to stone with layer after layer of clear nail polish. Sometimes we would add glitter or paint on initials or hearts with colored nail polish. We created some of the most hideous art forms you could ever imagine.

Of course, after spending all this time making these messes, we would spend the next day at school showing them off.

What were we thinking?

It's amazing that any of us ever got enough school work done to graduate.

And sometimes you could only get those things off the ring by using a razor blade which could get a little bloody if you were in a hurry.

This token of love could also create drama or injury if you threw it at your boyfriend in one of those breakup fits. And by doing that you had the added fun of thinking about him trying to get the mess off his precious ring.

OK, it's out there. Now you all know more than you ever wanted to know about a fad in my little high school in the midwest. I have not thought about this for many, many years. But this gives me the chance to finally find out if this was some weird tribal custom or if the fad reached from sea to shining sea.

So are you girls going to let me just hang out here in embarrassment or will somebody please tell me that you know exactly what I am talking about. (I guess there's always the delete button - that I finally found.)

BB