View Single Post

Old 01-19-2008, 10:43 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd
Default Re: HAS ANYONE HEARD OF THE "MAGICJACK" PHONE?

My MJ arrived this week and it was VERY simple tp install. Plug it to the USB, plug in a phone and wait 2 minutes for the software to install.
1. It only worked when computer is on and ready. Once system times out and it goes to sleep, phone is dead. Not a big problem, just have to change the timeout.
2. You get a phone console displayed on your screen.
3. It maintains a log of calls, number and duration
4. Caller ID does work and so does it for those you call.
5. It has a mute feature which works well.
6. Clarity is really good for VOIP, no hiss or static. And my entire house is wireless broadband including the system it was attached to.
7. Call waiting work well and even shows you the incoming ID on the screen.
8. I have not tried 3 way calling yet or call forwarding, but see how they are set up on the screen.
9. Set up the voice mail and that works fine also.
10. It did give me a new number which is perfect for my planned use.

I have an older laptop that I am not using so I plan to update it to xp, connect direct to the modem and set it up for the phone base unit then use remote phones elsewhere. That way I can leave it on 24X7. I will not eliminate my phone service yet, however I will drop it down to just basic service and use this for all long distance calling. I bought the MJ plus one year of service and so far it was a very worthwhile purchase. I am also going to buy the smallest landline phone I can find and use the MJ when I travel with the laptop. Still need to work out if I can move it system to system, but I believe I can. This should drop the current phone bill from about $60 a month to about $20 a month.