View Single Post

Old 02-16-2015, 01:54 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Shands is part of the University of Florida School of Medicine and so it is a teaching hospital that is well staffed and run and it is in Gainesville which I think is an hour away..

Only the building is owned by The Villages here. It is rented to a group that runs hospitals and it does not have what a large teaching hospital has to offer for sure.

Even the most superior hospital would be put to the test by having the population swell in the months of January, February and March.

However, I am pretty sure asking for one's own doctor to come to the hospital for an emergency may not be realistic in this day and age.

Telling a hospital staff member that you are healthy is not realistic without your latest health records. They have a responsibility to conduct blood tests and other monitoring tests when you are admitted.

I am guessing that the chemical injected that the OP didn't want was Thalium and the test was a nuclear test to see how the blood was dispersed into the heart muscle at rest and while moving. It is an important diagnostic test if a person is suspected of having cardiac issues.

Nuclear stress test: MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia
I agree with all your points but would like to say that most areas of Florida (and any warm weather resort or area) have a tremendous growth in population during "season." In other areas of Florida where I have lived, the hospitals were prepared to handle the increase in population and did it well. I know this (unfortunately) from a few different hosital experiences, and that goes for their emergency room care, as well.

I know that there are groups that run hospitals. But I wonder if the cost of running the hospital here (including rent to the developer?), is too expensive, and is reflected in not having or being able to get enough staff or even the best personnel on staff???