View Single Post

Old 02-17-2015, 01:41 AM
Gold member
Location: Bought Tamarind Grove, Mercer Island Wa, previously NH,FLA,Hi,CT,CA,GA, Hubby from Hawaii

Ok we probably have an a slanted view as hubby was born and raised in Honolulu. So we usually go there. That said it is a city, and the traffic on Oahu has gotten really bad. Have no idea what there is to do there as we usually are visiting friends. We do like to drive around to the other side of the island as it is a pretty ride and there are still some little local market places where we can get manapua and shave ice like when we were young.

I think Maui is probably best for a view of what the islands were like years back. We do not camp in the cabins as mentioned because our idea of ruffing it is no room service. That said if you can ride a bike one of the tours were they drop you off up on top of the mountain and you coast all the way to the ocean is a lot of fun. But layer up as it is cold up on the mountain early in the morning and will be quite hot when you get about half way down. The drive out to Hana is long and windy with a ton of narrow bridges but the views can not be beat in my opinion and I love the waterfalls when you finally get there.

Kauai is the greenest and most tropical. There are some real pretty hikes as well as some of the nicest resorts if you have the cash. Also if you can afford the helicopter tours for an areal view of the waterfalls is really pretty.

I would not go to the big island as the vog (volcanic smog) can be really bad and the eruptions recently have made it very hard to breath.

Hope this helps a little.