View Single Post

Old 01-20-2008, 12:51 AM
Sage
Default Re: Golf, Tennis and Fitness Centers in TV

RonG (fellow Marylander)....here's my 2c worth.

Golf: I didn't play before I got here; took 6 hrs of lessons at Tree Tops and used the summer to "practice" on the exec courses; now play very regularly with strangers as well as family and friends and haven't yet felt intimidated by those playing with me. The exec courses are suitable to all talent levels...seen some good golfers and some not so good golfers. Everyone I've been paired with, without exception so far, has been kind, friendly, and non-judgemental. So, I would encourage you to work on your swing and jump back into the exec courses. Your wife might also be inclined to take lessons. But, to your questions, there are plenty of non-golfers....there are so many other activities that golf is not the only thing here. Dancers, pickleballers, softball, etc.

Tennis: local hardcourts are free but not too much organized activity there. Most organized tennis is on soft courts at Glenview and Lopez. Fee - $10 for a resident/primetime for 2 hrs of doubles; if you play a lot, a tennis priority membership can bring the primetime cost down to $6 for 2 hrs. There are a lot of tennis players, at all levels, here at the Villages.

Fitness Centers: at 3 of the regional rec centers...can pay by the day ($5), month, 6 month, annual; Wellness center is a little more costly but has far more facilities and services. I'm not as familiar with these facilities, so, will leave it to others to better describe costs.

Lived in MD/DC area all my life...the summer here in TV is more tolerable than DC area; nice breeze, clean air, some midday cloud relief; the summer just lasts longer than MD. I have found this to be very liveable year-round.

By the way, GO TERPS...beat those #1 Tar Heels today in NCAA Hoops.