View Single Post

Old 02-18-2015, 12:21 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizdoc View Post
I have a brief medical history, list of doctors, list of current meds and a list of surgeries for both Betsy and myself as a .pdf file on my cell phone. I also keep medical and financial POAs, advance medical directives, HIPPA designations, and several other legal documents on my phone. Why? In an emergency you will forget to bring along a large file folder with all of that stuff with you. I bet that you will grab your cell phone.

Password protect it if you feel it is necessary.

I learned from Betsy's hospitalizations that you never want to leave decisions in the hands of the folks at the hospital. They may be nice, but they don't have as much at stake as you do. Also keep in mind that in the middle of the night, you are likely to encounter the least experienced (and most overworked) medical staff. I have stopped nurses (and doctors) from doing very dumb things and have demanded that nursing supervisors and doctors be called, even if it is 3 am.

Before I get the medical folks upset, I worked as a medical surgical tech (including ICU and ER) in an inner city hospital for 5 years, flew medivac in the Coast Guard, and did a tour as a medical administrator. I have a great deal of respect for medical folks. But I also know some are better than others.

Oh yeah - have a full and complete discussion with the folks who are your medical powers of attorney about what you do and don't want. If they can't support your wishes, they are the wrong folks.

If you are a medical POA, keep one or more people on speed dial who you trust and discuss what you are doing to do - they can't make decisions for you, but having a sounding board will help you make better decisions.

If things start to get to you, go in the chapel and pray, cry, or whatever. Then go back and be strong for your loved one. Much of the time Betsy was in a coma, I kept singing "Just Keep Swimming" from Finding Nemo - The Musical to her. She doesn't remember it, but it helped me to keep from going crazy.
Some excellent advice here.
The last paragraph is very moving.
Biz doc, you're a good guy!