Thread: Lower Sales
View Single Post

Old 02-18-2015, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
Villages building many cottage houses on the historic side. I have been observing construction of one which is now about 70% complete.
concrete slab construction - pipes are not sleeved
2 x 4 roof truss on 24 inch center - 1/2 inch flake board over truss with aluminum H clips between truss
2 X 4 wood exterior wall - 1/2 flake board
Double pane aluminum frame windows - I inch thick - only the bottom opens - no tilt
1/2 pvc water supply lines everywhere
1/2 drywall walls - 5/8 drywall ceiling
6 inch fiberglass insulation ceiling - without paper backing
4 inch fiberglass insulation exterior walls - with paper backing
contractor grade fiberglass tub and shower
interior wall metal studs
pressure treated wood if in contact with concrete - no barrier
every piece of wood sprayed for termites from floor to about 3 foot level
fiberglass coated wood front entry door
One has to remember that local and state building codes are the "MINIMUM" requirements. As a plumbing contractor if I had my choice I would use pex water pipe instead of cpvc; protect all piping going through concrete with a sleeve or wrap (maybe termites have something to do with this); water supply distribution would be 3/4" or 1", with 1/2" only supplying one fixture; acrylic or tile instead of fiberglass bath and/or shower units; and use 1/4-turn brass instead of plastic push-on water supply stops.

What surprises me is the use of 4" exterior walls and only 6" of insulation in the the ceiling. Is the proceeding normal in Florida or is that the minimum required by the building code? Up here in the Great White North, ceilings have to be R44 which is about 14" of insulation, exterior walls have to be R19 which is 6" of insulation, and slabs must also be insulated. Obviously the climate is different in Florida than it is in Minnesota , but I wonder why 50% less insulation is required in the ceiling.

Racine, WI
Elk River, MN
not there yet, but we're working on it - The Villages, FL