View Single Post

Old 02-18-2015, 06:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,162 Times in 833 Posts

A google search using minimally invasive spine surgery Florida (it is not NON invasive) will provide you will the names of many other Florida physicians doing the procedure. I reviewed Dr. Frank Bono's website after I was unable to find a single article he had written using google scholar. On his website he gives some statistics for his success and complication rates. They claim that

Less than 10% of all spine surgeons perform the "true" minimally invasive surgery. Know your surgeon – experience matters

Our infection rate is less than 1%, just ask Consumer Reports

I have no idea what they mean by "true". I can't find any documentation that they have done this procedure more than anyone else in the country although it may be true. That either means they are the most active practice (good), or they are doing it to everyone who walks into the office as opposed to being selective with operative candidates (bad).

The Consumer Reports link says that Citrus Hill Hospital (where they are leaving) is top ranked in Medicare data for low rates of death and extended hospital stays in spine surgery. From the link provided there is no mention of infection rates and all spine surgeries are included not just those by this doctor group nor just minimally invasive. However, if we accept their infection rate as accurate, is that better than other surgeons as their pride would suggest?

Moreover, minimally invasive spinal procedures seem to be associated with a much lower infection rate than open procedures (0.5 %)
http://journal.frontiersin.org/artic...014.00007/full

So less than 1% is true for everyone nationwide

And, just one of my things, I am unhappy to see anyone violating the well known Consumer Reports warning against any use of their ratings for advertising.

"Consumer Reports' "No Commercial Use Policy" prohibits the use of our content in advertising. We carefully monitor the use of our name and ratings to preserve our reputation as a not-for-profit source of information that is neither influenced nor associated with any commercial interest. The policy prevents companies from using our name and ratings to promote their own sales or to disparage the products or services of their competitors"

none of this is to suggest that having this surgery by this doctor is anything other than a great choice. I have no idea. But the marketing seems too slick for my taste.